From: jon wild [mailto:wild@fas.harvard.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, January 13, 2004 11:27 PM
To: cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: recovering cygwin settings after a Win98 anomaly

Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

[snip]
> mount -s -b --change-cygdrive-prefix "/cygdrive"
> mount -f -s -b "C:/cygwin" "/"
> mount -f -s -b "C:/cygwin/bin" "/usr/bin"
> mount -f -s -b "C:/cygwin/lib" "/usr/lib"

[snip]

> Please let the list know if this works for you.

Igor - it worked perfectly, everything is back to normal. Thanks so much.

After such a good first experience with this list I might be pushing it if
I ask about another, much less important problem, but I'll try anyway
since once again I can't find an answer in the FAQ:

I'm running cygwin under win98 and every time I type the double-quote
character in the cygwin shell, the very next character I type will cause a
second double-quote to appear before the character typed, and I'll get a
system beep. I am spared the beep if I type the same character a second
time myself. This happens with a few other non-alphabetic characters as
well (off the top of my head: single quote, backtick, tilde). I've learned
to type these characters twice, followed by the backspace key to get rid
of the one I didn't want, and this way I avoid the irritating beep, but I
guess there is probably a better solution...

Thanks again Igor --Jon Wild