Re: deleting a file ending with a dot

On Fri, Jan 16, 2004 at 11:34:21AM -0500, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
>On Fri, 16 Jan 2004, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>> Please! don't add clear text mail addresses in email messages.
>
>This is a good rule of thumb, but it's rather useless for the cygwin@ list
>address itself -- the first line of any message in the archives says 'This
>is the mail archive of the cygwin<at>cygwin<dot>com mailing list for the
>Cygwin project.' (unscrambled, of course). :-)

Since I'm sure your email address has been mentioned many times in this
list, have you stopped asking people not to do quote it?  It's
irrelevant if it already exists.  There is no reason to add to the total
mass of available addresses for people to harvest.

Btw, I understand that Bill knows better.  I've made this mistake any
number of times myself.  I know how annoying it is to be "called to
task" for a simple innocent mistake like this.  It's especially annoying
that we have to consider it "a mistake".  We should be able to use email
addresses with impunity.

I have been writing, in my spare time, an email filter to munge this kind
of innocent usage but I've been too swamped lately to move forward on
this.

cgf