Re: deleting a file ending with a dot

Baurjan Ismagulov wrote:

Hello, David!

On Fri, Jan 16, 2004 at 12:05:31PM -0000, Dave Korn wrote:

Maybe there's a problem with the perms on it? What output do you get from
"ls -la file." and from "cacls file." ?

ls: cachedmetrics.: No such file or directory

I don't have cacls installed, but getfacl also says "No such file or directory".

BTW, this would have been a better bug report...

I'm afraid that this is a Windows feature :) -- to be able to create files and then not to be able to work with them :/ .

If ls and getfacl say there is no file then who are you to question their judgment! :-)

All kidding aside, often when I see this what is happening is that the file has been deleted but some process has it open. Download Process Explorer from the SysInternals site, install and run it then do a search for "cachedmetrics". Note there are two searchs: One is a DLL search and the other is a handle search. Try both. If you find any processes in the list then those processes have the file open. Either kill them or right click on the line with that string it in and select File: Close.

Note that if the file is opened via the network (i.e. the process is running on host B and is accessing this "cachedmetrics." file via the network) then the locally running Process Explorer will not be able to find anything. In such a case I think you can simple disconnect or otherwise stop file sharing from the local machine, which will prompt that other processes have files open and do you wish to disconnect.

(It'd be nice if fuser worked under Cygwin but I realize that might be a significant challenge to implement).