Re: running the latest cygwin on a windows 2003 server

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004, Stefan Zachow wrote:

Larry,

>Also, who did you install Cygwin as and did you install it for "All users"
>or "Just me"?  The answer to the last part may provide you with the answer
>you seek.  Otherwise, please provide more specific information as requested
>above.

I did install cygwin as Administrator for 'all users'.

Since you gave me the link to http://cygwin.com/problems.html
I assume that I have to run 'cygcheck -s -v -r' to provide
more specific information. In case this is not what you meant
please let me know.

Stefan

Stefan,

A couple of points:

What is the exact message you get when you try to run Cygwin programs as
another user?  Which exact programs fail?  Do all the programs fail in the
same way?  BTW, it would have been more helpful to get a cygcheck output
as a user for whom Cygwin doesn't work...  Also, check that all the
programs and the necessary DLLs are readable and executable by everyone
(instead of just you).  I noticed you have "nontsec" set, so that might be
what's hiding your problem (all files look executable, but the actual ACLs
don't allow other users to access them, and you don't see that via "ls").

On an unrelated note, it's usually not a good idea to have /cygdrive/* as
a target for a mount.  If I understood correctly what you're trying to do,
simply connect to a network drive (using "net use", for example), and
assign the letter "W:" to it.  Cygwin will automatically pick that up as
"/cygdrive/w".  You might also want to investigate the "(no)smbntsec"
option in the CYGWIN variable (see the User's Guide).
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
     |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu