Cygwin 1.5.6-1 completely breaks bash

I updated to Cygwin.dll 1.5.6-1 yesterday, and today bash won't start.
It hangs somewhere in the startup scripts.  The scripts are unchanged
for several months, and they worked just fine yesterday.

I've tried to pin down the place in the startup scripts where bash
hangs, but it jumps around.  In one case a grep command in
/etc/profile.d/00xfree.sh (which worked fine yesterday) hangs.  I
comment it out, and get as far as somewhere in the middle of my
~/.bash_profile; but then the next time I start, another script in
/etc/profile.d hangs.

For now I've regressed to Cygwin 1.5.5-1, and the problem has gone away.