Re: problem with mkgroup -d DOMAIN

Stefan Zachow wrote:

> Dear cygwin experts,
>
> I encountered some problems with the mkgroup command during
> my trial to get cygwin running on a Windows 2003 server machine
> (Topic: running the latest cygwin on a windows 2003 server)
>
> The domain controller is a Linux system running Samba for file
> system sharing.
>
> The 'mkpasswd -d DOMAIN' command works fine and I did
> append this information to /etc/passwd
>
> The 'mkgroup -d DOMAIN' command, however, failed for
> some reason I don't know, yet. The output is:
>
> LookupAccountName (\\Host, Domain Admins) failed with error 1332
> LookupAccountName (\\Host, Domain Users) failed with error 1332
>
> For the entire cygwin tree the user of the files is administrator
> and the group is mkgroup (!?). Even with chgrp I am not able
> to temporarily change the group to 'Users' for example.
>
> Actually, even after reading the user's guide I have some problems
> on understanding the grouping scheme. Why do I have the following
> entry in my /etc/group?
>
> mkgroup-1-d:S-1-5-32-545:10545
>
> and how is it mapped to the users that are taken from the
> domain controller generated passwd database?

Edit /etc/group by hand and place this in it:

root:S-1-5-32-544:0:
SYSTEM:S-1-5-18:18:
Administrators:S-1-5-32-544:544:
Users:S-1-5-32-545:545:
Backup Operators:S-1-5-32-551:551:
Guests:S-1-5-32-546:546:
Power Users:S-1-5-32-547:547:
Replicator:S-1-5-32-552:552:
Remote Desktop Users:XXXXXXX:900:   where XXXX is the sid for
       Remote Desktop Users that you have in /etc/passwd (I think).

I can make more suggestions if you send your passwd file.

Regarding the CreateFileMapping problem, the message you report is
   *** CreateFileMapping, Win32 error 0. Terminating.
but the code in Cygwin is

     api_fatal ("CreateFileMapping %s, %E.  Terminating.", mapname);
The *** in front is added elsewhere, but you are missing the space
after CreateFileMapping and the mapname (which could be null).

So, what version of Cygwin are you using?

>From a cmd window in c:\cygwin\bin, what does
strace true
produce?

Are the non privileged users running from the console or from
terminal services?
Do they have the "create global object" privilege? If not, try
  to assign it.
You say it's working on Win2000. What service pack? Also, on that
machine, what are the answers to the 2 questions above?

Pierre