Re: running the latest cygwin on a windows 2003 server

Dave Korn wrote:

another question to this topic came into my mind:
"why is this all happening only to the Windows Server 2003 machine"?

Ah, but then you go and point out that...

Although the SAMBA problem appears on all machines.

That's true. It seems that I have two problems here and the SAMBA thing
is _not_ the one that hinders cygwin to run, right?

And you're using a domain, right?

Yes in both cases.

Is this related to the "Pre-Windows 2000 Compatible Access group" thingy?

As a matter of fact I don't have any clue. I have to read this first

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=pre-windows+2000+
compatible+access+group

but your former advice seems setting me on the track.
I only have to figure out how to do set global priviliges

You might both find some useful information in this article "Development
Impacts of Security Changes in Windows Server 2003":

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dncode/html/secure06122003.asp

Creating Various Global Objects May Fail :
Starting with Windows Server 2003, the creation of some global objects,
such as file mapping will fail unless the calling process has the
SeCreateGlobalPrivilege privilege enabled. Note that the privilege check
is limited to the creating of said objects, and does not apply to opening
existing ones. For example, the following code will fail on Windows
Server 2003 unless the process account has this privilege:

HANDLE hMap = CreateFileMapping(INVALID_HANDLE_VALUE,0,PAGE_READWRITE, 0, 0xFFFF,"Global\\MyMapping");

By default this privilege is assigned to all services and administrators.
This privilege also applies when creating symbolic links in the object
manager. The way around this is to either grant the account in question
this privilege, or do not make the object name global. Of course, the
latter may not be possible.

Regards, Stefan