Re: Linking VC++ apps to cygwin-based DLLs

On Fri, Jan 23, 2004 at 12:24:19AM +0200, Tomer Zekharya wrote:
> Hi
>
> First I want to state that I'm using Cygwin (and VC++) for less than a week.
>
> I want to port a certain group of libraries from UNIX to windows. I managed to compile and link it using cygwin, but the Windows applications that needs these libs are MFC based, so I can't compile them in cygwin (at least that's what I understood from searching through the web and through the cygwin mailing list).
> I tried doing the opposite: compile the UNIX code to DLLs using cygwin, and trying to link to them in VC++, but I get all kind of errors.  After compiling the DLLs as described in the "Building DLLs" section in the Cygwin manual, I get the following message when linking in VC++:
>
> warning LNK4078: multiple ".text" sections found with different attributes (E0000020)
>
> And my application crashes on some kind of memory fault.
>
> Since I'm new to this world of cygwin and VC++, I don't really know if I made a mistake in the cygwin side or the VC++ side. If anyone has successfully compiled MFC based applications linking against cygwin-based DLLs, I'll be more than happy to hear how he/she did it.

You can't do this AFAIK - the binary formats are incompatible. And this does make
migration from VC++ to cygwin difficult, IMO.

However I believe that open-source Watcom supports VC6 style DLLs, you might want
to try using Watcom to build cygwin libs and projects. Anyone done that, BTW?

Ed