Re: 1.5.6 is there a problem with this build?

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004, zzapper wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 15:52:42 -0600 (CST), Brian Ford
> >>
> >I wasn't annoyed, but I did point you to the most authoritative reference
> >available on both topics.  It should have been obvious in the mailing list
> >archives.
>
> blush red, sorry Brian hadn't noticed the link. Just installed the
> snapshot  (a valid but non-released build) (didn't know what one was
> before!!) .
>
> It's easy peasy; download from snapshot http://cygwin.com/snapshots/
>
> cygwin-inst-2004*.tar.bz2

Technically, this is a full build snapshot.  If you just want the DLL,
download cygwin1-2004*.dll.bz2 instead.

> bunzip2 cygwin-inst-20040122.tar.bz2
>
> gives you cygwin-inst-20040122.tar
>
> I then used Winzip to install files in c:\cygwin

BAD.  VERY BAD.  The FAQ and the user's guide repeatedly state: DO NOT USE
WinZip for installing packages.  The same applies to snapshots.  One
reason is that WinZip does not handle symlinks correctly, but there are
others.

> Is there a script or tool for installing snapshots??
>
> Thanx Brian.
> zzapper (vim & cygwin & zsh)

There's no tool (it would be pretty easy to make snapshots installable by
setup.exe, though I can think of a couple of reasons why it requires extra
effort to install one), but there *is* an easier way.  Simply run

tar -C/ -xjf cygwin-inst-20040122.tar.bz2

and you're done.  If you just downloaded the DLL, you need a slightly
different command:

tar -C/usr/bin -xjf cygwin1-20040122.dll.bz2

Hope this helps,
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/