RE: wget FTP wildcards

    [...snip...]
> (and so on)
>
> I think this may have something to do with the fact that
> you're using a proxy.  I'm not sure how wget uses
> 'ftp_proxy', presumably with a HTTP CONNECT method, right?
> There's no such thing as a true native ftp proxy.  So maybe
> it's getting confused?  But if it works for you under linux
> (assuming the same upstream version of both) then I don't know.

  It's got to be down to the proxy: check this quote from the original post:

> > Connecting to 192.168.35.1:3128... connected.
> > Proxy request sent, awaiting response... 404 Not Found
> > 11:16:54 ERROR 404: Not Found.

  404 is an HTTP error code, not an FTP one.  What's more, when you use HTTP
connect, you'd expect a different error code (I forget exactly what) if the
connection can't be made, but you wouldn't expect the proxy to send any
request forward after making the connection.  In short, you don't ever see a
CONNECTed to another web server and sent a GET request yourself.

  So my guess is that it isn't using HTTP CONNECT at all, but actually
forwarding a GET request with an ftp:// URL to the proxy and leaving it
entirely for the proxy to deal with.  I think it must be the proxy that's
having problems with the asterisk character and therefore returning a 404.

  BTW, there *is* such a thing as a true native ftp proxy.  There are any
number of firewalls/NAT devices that proxy/gateway FTP connections.  I could
also point to the analog-x proxy software, which does FTP proxying natively.

    cheers,
      DaveK