.bashrc issues caused by spaces in the pathname of my user profile

I have fairly recently installed cygwin into my Windows 98 system and I have run into the unfortunate coincidence of having spaces in my username.
That seems to have caused Bash to fail reading the .bashrc file of my /home/User Name directory no matter what I do to fix this problem. Of course I have made an elaborate attempt to find the answer to my problem in the mail list directory, faq, user's guide and google, without any luck whatsoever. Here are the course of actions I have been taken:
In the cygwin.bat file I specified
set HOME="C:\CYGWIN\HOME\USER NAME"
getting error messages. I also tried the following three variations:
set HOME='"C:\CYGWIN\HOME\USER NAME"'
set HOME=C:\CYGWIN\HOME\USER NAME
set HOME=C:\CYGWIN\HOME\USER\ NAME
also that without any luck.
I even removed the entire line getting an error. When I specified the path without the quotes, Bash did at least load the .profile script, but not .bashrc. Entering ls "$HOME", cd "$HOME" ... in the shell worked fine as well, but the .xinitrc did not like the path given to the interpreter, when invoking thet script. The same condition was also rendered when I removed the ...HOME... line from the cygwin.bat file.
On one occasion I managed to make Bash read the .bashrc file when running it for the first time right after bootup. At that particular point of time it also gave me the error message "Out of environment space". I closed the window, opened the properties dialog of the shortcut and under the memory tab I changed the memory of Initial Environment from Auto to 4096 and restarted bash. When I runned it again it did not read the .bashrc file.
It seems like the different parts of Bash handles the $HOME variable in different ways. It seems like when I manage to make the one part to parse the variable properly the other one fails, and the other way around.
So I would really appreciate if there is someone out there that has the universal solution of this problem that works with all the parts of cygwin.

- Robin.