Re: Lost g++ after update

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004, David Balazic wrote:

> A few days ago I downloaded the actual setup.exe ( version 2.416 ) and run
> it to update my cygwin installation.
> I just pressed "Next" on each page. After it finished , I rebooted ( it
> suggested so ).
>
> Then I noticed that I don't have g++ any more :
>
> $ g++ xxx.cpp
> bash: g++: command not found
>
> $ gcc xxx.cpp
> gcc: installation problem, cannot exec `cc1plus': No such file or directory

Install the "gcc-g++" package.  A package search at
<http://cygwin.com/packages/> for "bin/g\+\+.exe" should have found it,
but there seems to be a bug (which I'm looking into) that truncates the
match list before it displays "gcc-g++", which may have prompted this
question.

> I also noticed that "cygcheck -c" reports that the package texinfo is
> not OK (status was something else than OK, don't remember what exactly).

It would have been either "OK" or "Incomplete".  You could have added a
"-v" option to cygcheck to find out exactly what is missing (i.e., run
"cygcheck -cv").

> Then I run setup again and set it to reinstall gcc and texinfo. After that
> texinfo is OK, but g++ is still missing.
>
> Any clue what happened ?
>
> I am now running setup.exe again and manually selecting gcc-g++.
> It just finished. g++ works again.
>
> Why did it disappear ?
>
> Regards,
> David

Because setup by default only upgrades the packages you had installed or
their dependences.  "gcc-g++" was neither.  Reading the release
announcement would have been helpful here.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu