Re: SCP doesn't complete transfers of large files

Bill C. Riemers wrote:

ssh -T foo "tar cfz - somedirectoryorfile"|tar xvvfz -

I'm not much of a unix expert, could you explain what that's doing? I know a bit about tar, so I recognize the arguments to it, but I'm not sure how they're interacting. It looks like it might run tar on the remote machine, and tar up all the desired files, the output of which is streamed over to a local copy of tar that un-tars them. I'm not familiar at all with the -T option for ssh, and the man page entry isn't illuminating for one such as I. Would an example command be:

remote machine abc has sshd running, and has file xyz that I want locally.
ssh -T abc "tar cfz - xyz"|tar xvvfz -