Re: Cygwin nfs-server

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 John_Bailey3@cargill.com wrote:

> I am currently working in an environment with Solaris, Linux, and
> Windows machines.  I use Cygwin on my Windows machine all the time and I
> have very little issues.  I am currently using Cygwin's nfs-server to
> create shares to mount on the Solaris and Linux machines.
>
> The nfs-server works great on my Windows 2000 Pro box, but will not run
> on Windows 2000 Server or Windows 2003 Server.  portmap starts correctly
> and can be run as a server, but the rpc.nfsd and mountd.rpc both fail
> when they are started.
>
> When starting the services 'rpc.nfsd -F' or 'rpc.mountd -F' The error is
> as follows:
>
> Cannot register service: RPC: Unable to send; errno = Cannot assign requested address
> nfsd[3248] 01/29/104 16:09 rpcmisc.c 92 : unable to register (nfsd, 2, udp).
>
> Cannot register service: RPC: Unable to send; errno = Cannot assign requested address
> mountd[2404] 01/29/104 16:11 rpcmisc.c 92 : unable to register (mountd, 1, udp).
>
> I have seen a couple posts like this in the past and I am wondering if
> anyone has any more information.
>
> Thanks for your help.
> John

John,

Some things to check:

Are you running these services as SYSTEM?  Separately, or through inetd?
If the former, do you have problems with any other services (e.g., sshd)?
If the latter, do other inetd services (e.g., ftpd) run ok? Do you get the
same errors in the logs (either in /var/log/*, or in the Windows Event
Log)?  Do you have the appropriate entries in /etc/services?  Are you
running any firewall software?

Oh, and please attach your cygcheck output as requested in the Cygwin
problem reporting guidelines at <http://cygwin.com/problems.html>.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/