Re: tcsh hangs after updating to cygwin 1.5.7-1. Expires with "Out of Memory"

On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 Sirish.Bajpai@tellabs.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have been using cygwin on my NT 4.0 box with tcsh as my login shell.
> After upgrading to cygwin 1.5.7-1 from cygwin.com, tcsh has stopped
> working.
>
> If I start tcsh either from command line or run menu or as a login
> shell, it hangs for a long period of time after displaying motd.
> It eventually comes out of slumber with a message "Out of Memory" and
> exits.
>
> I ran it with verbose and echo flags set and it seems to go through my
> .cshrc file successfully but get stuck after that. It was working fine
> with the same startup files before the upgrade.
>
> All other shells; bash, ksh etc. are working fine.
>
> Below is the output of cygcheck -c -s -v -r command. It was run after I
> changed my login shell to ksh. Would very much like to go back to my
> settings on tcsh.
> Thanks very much for your help.
>
> Sirish

In the future, please *attach* the output of cygcheck, since it plays hell
with archive searches (introducing false positive hits).

One obvious thing wrong with your cygcheck output is that you have two
copies of cygwin1.dll on your machine, and, worse, in your PATH.  The one
in r:\Eng-sw\bin should be removed -- it's old.

As for your tcsh hang, I suspect one of the programs or functions called
from the startup files is the culprit.  If deleting the extra cygwin1.dll
doesn't cure it, I'd suggest running "tcsh -f" from a DOS prompt.  If it
doesn't hang with "-f", try determining where it hangs by calling "tcsh
-X" (note the capital "X").  If it still hangs, you might want to build a
debug version and spend some time in gdb.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu