Re: Modular setup?

On Tue, Feb 03, 2004 at 11:11:39AM -0500, Alan Dobkin wrote:
>--On Tuesday, February 03, 2004 11:44 PM +1100 Robert Collins
><rbcollins@cygwin.com> wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 2004-02-03 at 12:09, Chris Jefferson wrote:
>>>Now I think I can figure out how to get to these things, but
>>>I would personally perfer a nice command-line package utility
>>>which I could use to automate things (particularily an interest
>>>of mine, downloading binary patches to existing cached downloads
>>>to avoid having to redownload).
>>
>>No such beast for cygwin. There is a draft command line setup,
>>but it needs quite some work to get the GUI entangled functions
>>out of the GUI program, and it's low priority. There are command
>>line options to the GUI.
>
>If you're referring to Chris's cygupdate (formerly up2date) script,
>I recently tried to compile it, but it requires a Cygwin::Setup
>perl module that does not seem to be available in CVS.  My main
>goal is to be able to automate Cygwin installations on new machines
>so someone doesn't have to manually select each package in the GUI.
>I don't think this can be done with the existing command line
>options to the GUI, but please correct me if I'm wrong.  It looks
>like it can be done with cygupdate, but does anyone know where I
>can get the Setup.pm file?  Or, if there is another, better way
>to accomplish this, please let me know....

Since I haven't formally announced this, I will certainly be displeased
to see any bug reports about it.  There is a reason why this isn't part
of the cygwin distribution.  It requires too much tweaking to get right
and I don't have the time or patience to add YA stream of newbie
questions to my life.

That said, however, the Setup pm files are the same as are used by the
(also unreleased) 'upset' script:

http://sources.redhat.com/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/infra/bin/cygwin/Cygwin/?cvsroot=sourceware

But, you are on your own with this.  I am not going to support it in
terms of setting things up, or adding requested functionality.  I may
eventually work out all of the kinks and release it but I'm not
interested in having users for the package until then.

cgf