Re: wincvs and cygwin (tcl DLL naming issue)

my 2 cents, and what i believe is an easier and more appropriate solution ( think like you're on unix/linux) - for your cygwin bash/rxvt/etc terminals explicitely set the path in your .bashrc such that the cygwin binaries are found first -- and either do not add the cygwin binary paths to the windows path, or make sure that they are at the end. i.e. when i open a cygwin terminal any call to a cygwin compiled application will find the cygwin binaries first, and vice versa for a windows terminal.

Daniel Atallah wrote:

The problem lies in that anything that is linked
against the native dll will not work with the cygwin
dll. The problem is simple, the program will use the
first matching dll that it finds in the search path.

It isn't a wincvs (or gaim in my case) problem, there
is nothing that they can really do to prevent it from
happening (apart from some awful hack to not allow
DLLs from paths that contain the word "cygwin" to be
loaded, which wouldn't really fix the problem anyway).

I think that the cygwin tcl people *should* care
because the inverse problem could also apply -
something that wants to use the cygwin TCL dll could
in turn find the native dll because it is first in the
path.

Furthermore, there is an easy solution to the problem
that will make the problem go away (unless i'm missing
something) - rename cygwin's dll to "cygtcl8x.dll"
instead of "tcl8x.dll".

-Daniel
--- Fr餩ric_L._W._Meunier <1@pervalidus.net> wrote:

What about asking them to not scan any Cygwin mounts
or ignore
the Cygwin DLLs ?

The site is pretty clear:

* WinCvs compiled for Windows 98, Windows NT/2000
(Optionally
you may want to install TCL8.1 or higher in order to
get the
macros working, see the TCL home page).

The TCL link points to http://dev.scriptics.com/ ,
not Cygwin.