Re: cyclical dependencies in setup.ini?

On Mon, Feb 09, 2004 at 08:40:53PM -0800, Edward S. Peschko wrote:
>If possible, I'd like to avoid having to run across dependencies inside
>of configure files, hence I'm hoping that somewhere its documented
>(centrally or in someone's head) which packages are dependent on other
>packages..

Larry's answer was accurate.  There is no master repository of build
dependencies.  Expecting that either 1) the dependencies are all in
someone's head or 2) if they are in someone's head, they'd be happy to
type them in for you is rather...  interesting.

I guess it isn't obvious that setup's dependencies have nothing to do
with what it takes to build a package.  For instance, cygwin relies on
g++ to build.  Do you see g++ listed as a dependency?  Nope.  It's not
unreasonable to expect that setup might be able to encapsulate this
information but no one has ever implemented it.  Some package managers
have a "build-depends" tag.  setup.ini doesn't have that.

(And here is where Robert steps in to say that build-depends is actually
recognized by setup.exe's parser...)

>ps - I'm looking at CVS right now, and it looks like there are
>configure/makefiles common to all of winsup but not part of any given
>package.  Is it possible to build all the sub-packages separately?

"configure/makefiles common to all of winsup"?  Huh?

Why would we put some things in CVS and leave the rest to the
imagination?

If you're missing something, and you want help, then explain exactly
what you are missing, if you are expecting help.

>And are there a list of compilers that people have used to bootstrap
>cygwin with (ex: borland?)

Here's the list:  g++.

cygwin was designed to be compiled by and for g++.  It's YA of those
circular dependency thingies.  I daresay that attempts to build cygwin
with anything else would be skating close to being off-topic for this
list.

cgf