Re: cyclical dependencies in setup.ini?

On Tue, Feb 10, 2004 at 12:04:21AM -0500, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 09, 2004 at 08:40:53PM -0800, Edward S. Peschko wrote:
> >If possible, I'd like to avoid having to run across dependencies inside
> >of configure files, hence I'm hoping that somewhere its documented
> >(centrally or in someone's head) which packages are dependent on other
> >packages..
>
> Larry's answer was accurate.  There is no master repository of build
> dependencies.  Expecting that either 1) the dependencies are all in
> someone's head or 2) if they are in someone's head, they'd be happy to
> type them in for you is rather...  interesting.

or, if someone had a script which did a complete build of cygwin from source,
the dependencies would be listed there...

> I guess it isn't obvious that setup's dependencies have nothing to do
> with what it takes to build a package.  For instance, cygwin relies on
> g++ to build.  Do you see g++ listed as a dependency?  Nope.  It's not
> unreasonable to expect that setup might be able to encapsulate this
> information but no one has ever implemented it.  Some package managers
> have a "build-depends" tag.  setup.ini doesn't have that.

its what I would expect.  It would be useful.

> (And here is where Robert steps in to say that build-depends is actually
> recognized by setup.exe's parser...)
>
> >ps - I'm looking at CVS right now, and it looks like there are
> >configure/makefiles common to all of winsup but not part of any given
> >package.  Is it possible to build all the sub-packages separately?
>
> "configure/makefiles common to all of winsup"?  Huh?
>
> Why would we put some things in CVS and leave the rest to the
> imagination?

winsup is split into several directories:

mingw
w32api
maint
utils
cygserver
cygwin

etc.

I'm assuming that these correspond to the -src.tar.bz2 pcakages inside of the
repository, and each one of these has . However there are makefiles which
coordinate the build, above these directories (at level winsup). I'm assuming
that these aren't part of any package that is distributed. I could
be wrong.

> If you're missing something, and you want help, then explain exactly
> what you are missing, if you are expecting help.

what I'd like to do is build a complete cygwin from start to end, from
numbered releases (-src.tar.bz2 files), with as few binary dependencies
as possible (which looks like it means just g++ and gmake).

what I'm missing is a list of dependencies in which to do this. I can
go through the process and make a list by trial and error, but I'd rather
had hoped that someone had done the groundwork so I didn't need
to reinvent the wheel.

thanks,

Ed