Re: zsh-4.1.1-2 still seems broken under cygwin-1.5.7-1.

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 12, 2004 at 09:44:26AM -0500, Larry Hall wrote:
> >As I mentioned before, it's better to verify that the current snapshot does
> >address the problem you're seeing locally.  Otherwise, if you're seeing a
> >variant or something different than the rest, your problem won't be known
> >until after 1.5.8 is released.  See <http://cygwin.com/snapshots/> for the
> >latest snapshots you can download and try.
>
> Right.  This is *exactly* why there are problems with zsh.  Someone had
> an easily reproducible problem that showed up in 1.5.6.  Rather than
> report it they apparently waited for 1.5.7 to show up, assuming that all
> of their problems would be solved.

Well, I would have reported it, but I never had a chance to upgrade to
1.5.6 in the first place (have been too busy with other things), and then
along came 1.5.7 any all hell broke loose.  For anyone who wants a stable
environment, what's the harm in stepping back a version or two so that
they can get back to work?  I know that when things like this break in my
*work* environment, the last thing I'd want is to play russian roulette
with a snapshot which might make things worse.  If you're not a
developer, why not just wait?  For the life of me, I could never quite
understand why you and Larry keep pushing the latest stuff when it hasn't
been fully tested or released.  Now, that being said, I am a developer
and I do play with the latest snapshots from time to time (like in this
case), but that's in my home environment where I can tollerate things
breaking (and often break them myself for fun :).

> There are still problems with the latest snapshot that I hope to have
> fixed today.  We'll see.

And, that little statement would make me even more nervious about getting
back to something stable if I had a work schedule to keep.

--
Peter A. Castro <doctor@fruitbat.org> or <Peter.Castro@oracle.com>