Re: Installing minimal packages for gcc only

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004, Josh Padilla wrote:

> I've just started up with cygwin.  I'd to install only the absolute minimum
> number of packages neccesary to do first year c/c++ student programming under
> gcc.  Is there a document/website which goes into detailed discussion of each
> cygwin package?
>
> Thanks,
> Josh Padilla

Probably the best way (that involves the least effort on your part) is to
run setup.exe, set all packages to "Skip", then select "gcc-g++".  setup
should then automatically[*] select all the dependences (prerequisites).

Technically, you can view all the dependences in the setup.ini file that
you can get from any Cygwin mirror, and select packages by hand, but why?

[*] ...if the packages maintainers have done their stuff correctly (they
usually do).  You should still try running the programs, and if a missing
DLL box pops up, use the package search page at
<http://cygwin.com/packages/> to find out which additional package you
need, and install that package.  Then please run "cygcheck -f <exec>",
where <exec> is the program that resulted in the message, and report to
this list that the package printed by cygcheck is missing a dependence on
the package you had to install.

Whew, hope this makes sense.
	Igor
--