Re: cygutils: mkshortcut patch - show window norm, min, max

On Fri, Feb 13, 2004 at 09:12:59PM -0500, Dick Repasky wrote:

> Attached is a patch to mkshortcut in the cygutils package that adds
> a commandline option for specifying how the new window for the launched
> application should be appear - normal, minimized or maximized.
>
> The patch was made against cygutils version 1.2.4. I hope that it is
> included in the next release of cygutils.

Dick,

Thanks very much for the patch (even for the man page, too)!  I made
two small changes. First, I put the -s option in alphanumeric
order instead of at the end of --help output. Second, the
normal and maximized modes work as expected on my Windows XP Pro box,
but the minimized does not (tested with IE, notepad, and Explorer)...
from a quick look at MSDN, it looks like MS now recommends
SW_SHOWMINNOACTIVE (minimize and no focus), which I think is maybe
what you really want anyway:

<http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/shellcc/platform/shell/reference/ifaces/ishelllink/SetShowCmd.asp>

Unfortunately XP is all I have now, so I can't make sure this works
with all Windows versions, but I found this article from 1995 that
lists it, so I think we're in good shape:

<http://msdn.microsoft.com/archive/default.asp?url=/archive/en-us/dnarvbtips/html/msdn_msdn7.asp>

So anyway I was going to commit the change into CVS, but it looks like
I don't have write to the cygutils module of cygwin-apps... attached
is the updated CVS diff.

Cygutils is infrequently released, but the next version should have
the change in it.

Thanks again!