RE: Built GCC 3.3.3 on Cygwin, should I use it?

> I am using Cygwin and GCC to become familiar with posix, common unix
> tools, and to learn c and c++ programming (plus learning win32). So I have
> never compiled any of my programs with -mno-cygwin, but I noticed that it
> doesn't work when I use GCC 3.3.3, just as you said it wouldn't (and it
> won't work if I use any posix functions either, no matter what compiler I
> use, right?).

Basically yes.

> So by installing a newer version I have not lost anything
> but the capability of running my programs on other computers running
> Windows but lacking Cygwin? And the benefit of installing
> is gaining a number of fixes of bugs that I may or may not encounter (I
> have looked at the list of fixes, but haven't gone into great detail)?

You haven?t lost that ability at all since 3.3.1 is still there for you to
use if you need it, as you aimed for.  -mno-cygwin isn?t the only 'special
cygwin' feature though, you may run into others which are not present in the
official gcc release (from memory possibly some gcj issues as most
significant).  But with 3.3.1 to fall back on you'll be fine.  I personally
use a pre-release copy of gcc 3.4 because of its improved c++ support, and
haven?t experienced any cygwin-specific problems in my day-to-day use of it
under cygwin.  I have experienced some bugs, but that?s what I get for using
a pre-release version.

Gareth