Re: cygwin1.dll not found..

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 vemuri<at>helixgenomics<dot>com wrote:

> Dear all,
>       I downloaded cygwin and installed on XP professional.
> I wrote a small c program to print my name.
>
> when run it from the cygwin console, the program is running.
>
> when I run the same executable from outside cygwin, it is giving the
> following error:

> abc.exe - unable to locate component
>
> This application has failed to start because cygwin1.dll was not found.
> Re-installing the application may fix this problem.
>
> I checked and found that cygwin1.dll is very well there in /bin/cygwin1.dll.
>
> Can any body suggest how to over come this problem.
> Thank you in anticipation. I am using the recent downloads available.
>
> waiting for your suggestions.
> Prasad.

Cygwin's /bin should be in your PATH when you run any Cygwin program.  If
you want to run Cygwin programs from outside of the Cygwin environment
(i.e., from a command prompt or a batch file), make sure your Windows
system PATH contains c:\cygwin\bin (appropriately modified if you didn't
install Cygwin into c:\cygwin).  It's a matter of debate on whether this
directory should precede the Windows system directories or follow them --
this heavily depends on whether you use the Windows tools from your
command line or batch files...  Personally, I tack on c:\cygwin\bin to the
end of the Windows PATH, and use the command prompt as little as possible. :-)
HTH,
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/