RE: zip with encryption

I appreciate that Red Hat's lawyers are busy.  However, Cygwin already
includes crypt and libcrypt (and vim can encrypt files) and Red Hat must
have covered encryption binaries in their Linux distribution.  I work in an
office that handles legal agreements, and I'd bet that the Red Hat lawyers
have some boilerplate that they could just plug in the particulars.  See
ftp://ftp.info-zip.org/pub/infozip/src/zcrypt.msg for a possible example.

But if Chris doesn't feel comfortable asking them if they have time to do
this, I won't argue with his decision.

--

I had tried recompiling with a non-dummy crypt.h and crypt.c (from
ftp://ftp.icce.rug.nl/infozip/src/zcrypt29.zip ), but that proved to be

zip-2.3-5.sh all

doesn't allow one a pause to copy in the crypt.? files.  I modified
zip-2.3-5.sh to copy them with

cp -pv ${topdir}/crypt.? ${srcdir}

in prep() just after tar runs and before patch.  zip-2.3-5.sh all now bombed
out, gave error messages that talked about includes being too deeply nested.
I then commented out

#include "crypt.h"

in crypt.h.  Now zip-2.3-5.sh all dies with the following.

gcc -o zip.exe -s zip.o zipfile.o zipup.o fileio.o util.o globals.o crypt.o
ttyio.o unix.o crc32.o crctab.o deflate.o trees.o
zipup.o(.text+0x687):zipup.c: undefined reference to `_zfwrite'
zipup.o(.text+0x6b8):zipup.c: undefined reference to `_zfwrite'
zipup.o(.text+0xbae):zipup.c: undefined reference to `_zfwrite'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

At this point, my debugging ability was exhausted.  (I'm not a programmer.)
So I fulfilled my need for zip with encryption by using a DOS/Windows
version of zip (ftp://ftp.icce.rug.nl/infozip/WIN32/zcr23xN.zip).

What might be useful to others who cannot use DOS/Windows zip would be to
modify the source package to contain both the dummy and non-dummy, fixed
crypt.? files, and to modify zip-2.3-5.sh to ask one whether or not one
wants encryption.  (As I understand it, encryption source code can be
exported from the U.S. without notifying the U.s. government; but again,
IANAL.)  Or if one is really worried about being legal, have the script
download zcrypt29.zip, unzip it, etc.  Then again, maybe the need for
encryption-enabled zip is so rare that its not worth bother. :-)

Thanks again for all the work that goes into Cygwin and its packages.

- Barry