Re: 1.5.7: Problem with tcsh 6.12.00-7 / sed 4.0.8-1

At 11:43 AM 2/23/2004, Michael Brand you wrote:
>Hello,
>
>Regarding your question, Corinna, I am using Cygwin's latest stable (the one
>you get when you download <http://www.cygwin.com/setup.exe> and install current
>versions of packages). I am considerably more interested in a stable system
>than in a "state-of-the-art" system, which is why I am avoiding the use of
>snapshots.
>
>However, I have other developments regarding this problem:
>I have managed to reproduce the problem now in a "bash" script as well. It
>still uses plenty of "sed"s, but the hang happened in a call to "basename".
>
>I am beginning to believe that this problem has to do with a misbehavior of
>Cygwin on dual-CPU machines / on Xeons / on dual-Xeon machines.
>
>Any feedback, but especially from people with experience using Cygwin on such
>platforms, will be much appreciated.

This all sounds like problems that have been reported before against 1.5.7
and have been subsequently fixed and available in snapshots.  If you have a
chance, it's worth the small effort to try out a snapshot to see if all
the problems you're seeing are resolved.  The current snapshots are very
close to what 1.5.8 will be.  However, you should either keep around the
cygwin1.dll for 1.5.7 or be prepared to reinstall 1.5.7 via setup if you
install a snapshot, just in case you notice more debilitating problems than
you notice in 1.5.7 (that's pretty unlikely but it's always good to have a
backup plan with software).  If you do try the snapshot, please let the list
know if it solves your problems and if you see any other problems not
already reported.

Holliston, MA 01746