Re: cygcheck

George,

Please instruct your mailer to wrap long lines, otherwise it's very hard
to read the messages in the archives.  Thanks.  More below.

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004, George Hester wrote:

> I've installed the latest cygwin.  That seemed to go OK in Windows 2000
> Server SP3.
>
> I started cygwin from the desktop icon made during the install process.
>
> I ran cygcheck -s
>
> I find there are a few things "not found."
>
> 1) cpp (good!)
> 2) gcc
> 3) gdb
> 4) ld
>
> What are these?  Why is cpp "Not found" "(good)"?  What does that mean?
>
> I downloaded and installed all the options so why are some things "Not
> found"?  Can I "find" them somewhere?  Should I "find" them?  Thanks.

The cygcheck program in its "-s" mode (system information) was designed to
cram as much useful information about your Cygwin installation as possible
into its output, to help others in diagnosing and/or reproducing your
problems (and, hopefully, eventually fixing them).

The "installed programs" part of the output attempts to list some common
programs that people usually ask about.  This helps in situations where
some other version of gcc hides the Cygwin version, for example, and
people complain that gcc doesn't work.  The fact that the programs are or
aren't found on your system shouldn't bother you unless you need to use
one of them.  All four of the programs that you listed are development
tools to let you build and debug programs.

Frankly, I have no idea why "cpp not found" is "(good!)".  Perhaps it used
to be that the gcc package hid cpp in its special directory, and you
weren't supposed to invoke it directly, but rather by passing an option to
gcc.  AFAICS, the current package ships with that program, so perhaps that
note is outdated and should be removed.

Since these programs are in the official Cygwin packages, you, apparently,
haven't installed everything (which is what I read your "all the options"
to mean).  If you want to see exactly what you've installed and what's
available, run setup.exe and switch the view to "Full" (using the button
on the top right of the package selection page).  You will see information
about all the packages in the distribution.  I can't really tell you more
about your system, since you haven't attached the output of "cygcheck
-svr" as requested in <http://cygwin.com/problems.html>.

As for whether you *should* "find" them, that's entirely up to you.  If
you don't know what "gcc" is, likely you won't need it.  If you install a
package that requires it, hopefully that package will either pull it in or
complain the first time it tries to use it, at which point you'll know you
need to install it (and will be able to find it on the Cygwin package
search page at <http://cygwin.com/packages/>).  Until then, don't bother.

HTH,
	Igor
--