Re: cygcheck

George,

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004, George Hester wrote:

> Igor my mail client puts all the stuff in you mention by default.  I
> don't usually manually remove things to make it "better" because it is
> only in newsgroups that aren't Microsoft where this issue occurs.

Yes, Outlook is notoriously hard to configure properly.  However, I do
believe people managed to do this (the signature is definitely
configurable).  FYI, your posts actually go to a mailing list, so you're
basically sending e-mail (through a portal called Gmane, which you may
also be able to configure).  Frankly, I'm not sure what the last part of
your sentense means (if you mean that users of Microsoft newsgroups don't
care if their e-mail addresses get harvested by spammers, and that in most
other newsgroups people are sensitive to this, then you're absolutely
right -- almost nobody likes spam).

> Let me see what I can do...is that better?  Not sure if I should remove the
>
> [partial cygcheck -svr snipped]
>
> George Hester

The problem reporting guidelines at <http://cygwin.com/problems.html>
which I initially referred you to request that the output of "cygcheck
-svr" should be *attached* (as an uncompressed text attachment), rather
than included inline, to avoid producing false positive hits in mailing
list archive searches.  The recipe there also helps ensure that you
include the full output of "cygcheck -svr", which you didn't, BTW.  It was
enough for our purposes, though, as it confirmed my guesses: the list of
packages shows that you only have the very basic set installed.  There are
many more packages available -- you can see the full list of packages in
the "Full" view of setup, or by visiting <http://cygwin.com/packages/>.

HTH,
	Igor

--