...Karl

From: "Andrew J Halls" To: "'Karl M'" Subject: RE: A problem with OpenSSH 3.8.p1-1 - ssh-agent
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 23:44:16 +1030

Hi Karl
	Turning off McAfee has made no difference.

A couple of additional observations

	First the ssh-agent is taking up approx 50% of the cpu while it is
running. This is probably all the time it could get from the scheduler and
the time the system needs to write to the event log.

	Second is that I first noticed this problem after upgrading
Cygwin-1.5 dll at around 1.5.3 or 1.5.4 back in September last year.

As I only run one ssh-agent for all by rxvt/bash sessions that I run I use
to run a script, out of /etc/profile.d, that would check to see if there was
a ssh-agent all ready running for the user , if not run one, is so export
the correct SSH_XXXX into the environment if the script could communicate
with that instance else give and error message.
I do this so that I can close all of my rxvt/bash sessions if I needed to
and reattach to the agent later when I started them up again.

What I was noticing was that the first rxvt/bash session started would not
complete it's shutdown until I killed the ssh-agent, this was not the
pervious way the ssh-agent did things before in Cygwin-1.5.1 or 1.5.2 .
This means to me that the ssh-agent was not closing all its file descriptors
properly when going into daemon mode or that the semantics of the fork or
exec call had changed to be more like SVR4.

I have another couple of machines running with Cygwin (the version of the
dll has also been upgraded along the way) and OpenSSH-3.7.1p2 on them with
the same results at above.

Andy Halls