cvs repository not found

I am not able to get CVS working via ssh. The following illustrates my problem.

Logged into the server machine:

Calvin@Kilimanjaro ~
$ cvs -d /cvs checkout foo
cvs checkout: Updating foo
U foo/testing

--
Calvin@Kilimanjaro ~
$ exit

--
And on my local machine:

Calvin@Calvin ~/Desktop
$ cvs -d :ext:Calvin@kilimanjaro:/cvs checkout foo
Calvin@kilimanjaro's password:
cvs [server aborted]: /cvs: no such repository
Calvin@Calvin ~/Desktop
$ ssh Calvin@kilimanjaro "ls -l /cvs"
Calvin@kilimanjaro's password:
total 0
drwxrwxr-x+   3 Administ Users       12288 Mar 12 16:46 CVSROOT
drwxrwxr-x+   2 Administ Users           0 Mar 15 14:39 foo

As you can see, I can successfully check out when logged into the machine, and I can ssh in and do an 'ls', correctly seeing the content of the cvsroot, and the foo module, but for some reason CVS and SSH aren't playing well together.

Any ideas??

thanks,

calvin