Re: How can I list all the software that have been insatlled to cygwin?

On Thu, 25 Mar 2004, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 26, 2004 at 05:23:21AM +0100, Reini Urban wrote:
> >Christopher Faylor schrieb:
> >>
> >>Correct.  It doesn't work that way.
> >
> >Unless someone provides a patch to make which records the current
> >dirname in a secret registry key or logfile, whenever ever the target
> >"install" is called. :)
>
> If someone supplied a patch like that it would be rejected.  It really is
> not something that should be handled by make.
> --
> Christopher Faylor

Since we're throwing wild ideas into the air, how about this one: once
libsetup is available (the extract of setup's essential functionality
minus the GUI), one could come up with a "register-program-with-setup"
command-line utility that could be called from the "make install" rule.
Of course, this would require the modification of the original sources,
and is completely alien to the way Linux does things, but it could be
borderline useful for some select applications (e.g., Cygwin projects
distributed separately, like KDE or CyGnome).

I suspect setup's functionality might need to be modified to also invoke a
specified uninstall program, although preremove scripts *could*
concievably be used for this (but *very* carefully, since they're run at a
brittle point in the uninstall process).  Alternatively, the preremove
functionality could be revamped to run preremove scripts in reverse
dependency order before actually removing any files (this one's just for
the archives).
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/