Re: Problems with OpenSSH in win32.

On Mon, 29 Mar 2004 14:15:57 -0500, Brian Chase wrote in
<406875ED.4020904@cfl.rr.com>:

>When I go from a Linux console to get a Windows screen, VNC is much
>easier to set up, but haven't managed to get it to work over SSH, which
>may be a hard requirement as if going over a WAN.
>
>The other direction, I prefer Cygwin/X and enabling XCMDP on the Linux
>box for local access.  But I'll be trying all options suggested in this
>thread, thanks for all the contributions.

VNC does have serious bandwidth limitations. I'd say that they are
worse than, say, what made X11 4.x almost unusable on any pipe tighter
than a T1 hard line (even a fast Token Ring would choke on it, that in
the times when 10MB Ethernet was the domain of the NCSA... :-). And
that's the reason why I suggested TightVNC, performance is acceptable
with a 56K modem link, and it defaults to using SSH tunneling, so for
practical purposes you obtain a cheap VPN.

And now back to your original broadcast.

--
Alejandro López-Valencia
http://dradul.tripod.com/