Re: Will using cygwin help with back-linking?

Larry wrote...
> Did you see this?
>
> <http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2000-10/msg00451.html>

No I didn't, but thanks! Actually, no, it doesn't answer my question. It
does ask the precursor to my question, which is how to create a dlopenable
module. I'm well aware of how to do that on unix, using exactly the commands
he listed (main executable with --export-dynamic, module with -fpic and
ld -shareable -dynamic). He is generally asking how to do that with cygwin,
but there's no discussion of exactly what with, and if, backlinking is
supported on a cygwin-ized windows machine.

I will gladly do the legwork of figuring out the specifics of how to do it
on cygwin, but I was hoping someone could at least point me down the right
path. Let me be more specific, I see two alternatives:

I could just use --export-dynamic, -fpic, and ld -shareable -dynamic. Of
course, if cygwin doesn't provide a mechanism of backlinking (non-cygwin
windows apparently doesn't), then that's a bad path for me to head down. So
the question still stands - does cygwin-based windows take care of
backlinking unresolved symbols in a "dll" to the main calling executable?

Another possibility may be using libtool (libltdl), which according to the
docs will help in building the libraries correctly on various platforms. As
a matter of fact, libtool docs specifically say NOT to use the above method,
because of problems on windows & AIX. Of course I have no idea if libtool
(libltdl) will recognize that it's on a cygwin based machine and do it
correctly, as opposed to it just noticing I'm on a windows machine and "do
it wrong" (basically saying "unresolved symbols").

So I guess in the final analysis there are two specific questions: Does
cygwin-based windows take care of backlinking, and if so with what
tool/method, and  is it's method compatable with libtool in a transparent
way on Unix vs. Cygwin/Windows?

Thanks for any direction!

Jay West