Re: working sync() code

GARY VANSICKLE wrote:

[snip]

SUSv3 has this to say about sync():

<quote>
The sync() function shall cause all information in memory that updates
file
systems to be scheduled for writing out to all file systems.

The writing, although scheduled, is not necessarily complete upon return
from
sync().
</quote>

"scheduled for writing out"? Isn't that done at the time any file/filesystem calls are made? Unless I'm missing something, that quote translates to, "sync() does nothing".

Or at least "sync() isn't guaranteed to do anything". Yes, it's extremely vague. I guess we could consider Cygwin's current implementation as conforming. :) Which is consistent with Corinna's comments.

Cheers