problems with script

I created the following script:

#!/bin/tcsh

#csh script to prepend standard input to file argument
#Version 1

#name temp file
set tf = /tmp/ppd.$$

#get argument name
set dest = $argv[1]

#copy standard input, $dest to $tf
cat - $dest > $tf

#replace original file
mv $tf $dest

However, when I run the script in the tcsh with the
following command line:
(date; du ~) | ./ppd.txt ~/disk_storage&

I get a syntax error (set: Syntax Error).

I posted this script on an online Linux forum.  A
member copied it into vi, and it worked fine.  Is
there something in Cygwin that I need to do?  I have
written #!/bin/tcsh at the top, and I haved used set
before in tcsh.