Re: Quick hack to implement gethostbyname_r() through gethostbyname()+mutex lock

On Thu, Apr 15, 2004 at 02:02:38PM +0100, Dave Korn wrote:
>Ah, but it's not a matter of it having no copyright, but of the
>copyright existing and belonging to the FSF so that the GPL can be
>enforced on the file.  If you submit a completely PD bit of source to a
>GPL project, other people can take that code, modify it and release it
>as binaries without being obliged by the GPL to provide sources,
>because they can claim they're working on your PD version rather than
>any version distributed under GPL.  IOW, making code PD makes it
>impossible to apply and enforce the GPL to it.  IIUIC.

I really don't have to worry about this anymore, but I can't stop myself
from making one comment: It's not the FSF in this case.  It is Red Hat
which needs the copyright assigment.  GPLing a bit of code which is not
assigned to Red Hat would make it inappropriate for Cygwin.

cgf