RE: cygwin setup window size, why no maximize button enabled ?

  Nothing showstopping, just niggles:

 - There is no resizing of the left-hand margin, and no rewrapping of the
text or repositioning of items within the main client area of the dialog on
any page except the "Select Packages..." page.  Everything just stays with
the positioning it has when the window opens at its default initial size.

 - There should be minimum size restrictions to prevent gadgets being shoved
out of the visible area or half-drawn and half-undrawn when reducing the
window's size from the default.

 - Resizing the column headers at the top of the package display widget is
buggy; at any rate, I've found some in the "Package" column header, possibly
because it's the last column header at the right-hand side.  It's easy to
end up with headers that don't fill the width of the widget, to get text
displays under the header that exceed the apparent width of the header, and
to get useless dead whitespace at the right hand side of the chooser that
you can't get rid of by expanding the package column header because the dead
space resizes in proportion.  Furthermore there's some bad interaction with
the scroll bar, which doesn't resize or reproportion itself when the
effective width of the chooser is increased or decreased; and both interact
badly with changing the main window size.  I've just managed to get it into
a state where the content of the chooser is scrolled partially off to the
left of the screen (you can't see the Category column any more) but no
scroll bar has appeared, not even after resizing the window a few times, so
I don't know how I'm going to get it back.  The interactions between window
size, column headers and scrollbars don't work properly at all.

> I've been advocating just releasing the current snapshot as
> is,

  It's a judgement call, so AFAICS it's largely just a matter of taste.  A
buggy GUI is not the end of the world and if a user gets it into an
unworkable state all they need do is cancel and start again.  OTOH it looks
kind of flaky for a release.  It's about image and presentation and
neat-and-tidy-ness.  I suppose there's no reason not to release it and list
the gui problems as known bugs, PTC.  I've just been doing some MFC coding
for the first time, I'll take a look at fixing some bugs when[*] I get some
spare time.

> although it would also be nice to fix the pcre0 dependency problem.
>
> cgf

  Can't speak to the dependency problem, as I haven't run up against it, but
I remember seeing a lot of posts on the list from people who've not had
libpcre0 properly installed until they re-run setup a second time; do you
mean that it's a bug in setup's algorithm that it doesn't properly calculate
the dependency of various packages that use it on the library, rather than
some issue to do with the packaging/setup hint files?

    cheers,
      DaveK

[*] If!