From: Dave Korn
Sent: Monday, April 19, 2004 12:12 PM
To: cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: RE: [OT?] make bash script wait for called program to finish?

  Yep, it certainly seems that some windows gui apps have the behaviour of
detaching from the console, while others remain attached and so don't return
control to the shell until they're finished.  I noticed this in particular
when editing text files at an interactive bash prompt: if I use notepad.exe,
my shell is locked up until I exit, whereas if I use write.exe (wordpad), it
detaches and the shell prompt returns immediately.

  I also note as a data point that when run from a cmd.exe shell, both
notepad and wordpad detach.  I can only guess that wordpad has some
functionality that notepad doesn't to detach itself, and that the cmd.exe
shell also has functionality that detects gui-based programs and detaches
them on launch (regardless of whether they're capable of detaching
themselves).

    cheers,
      DaveK