RE: Cygwin make thinks a statement can be neither true nor false....

>  Possibly a bug in make, as I'd expect it to complain
>about an undefined function named "error:".

I would've expected it to complain about a bad substition reference,
ie. it's missing an "=".

> Similar constructs are also silently ignored:
>
>  $(foo This isn't a valid make function)
>  $(bar Neither is this)

Since "foo" and "bar" aren't functions supported by GNU Make these are
just simple variable references.  Eg:

	foo This isn't a valid make function=one
	bar Neither is this=two

	test:
		echo $(foo This isn't a valid make function)
		echo $(bar Neither is this)

						Ross Ridge

--
 l/  //	  Ross Ridge -- The Great HTMU