Re: Wishlist additions for setup.exe

From: "Larry Hall" <cygwin-lh@cygwin.com>
Subject: Re: Wishlist additions for setup.exe

> "All Users" creates all the necessary default mount points for all users.
> "Just Me" creates them just for the user that installs Cygwin.  Without
> the mount points for all users ('mount -s'), services generally won't
start
> because they don't have access to those necessary mounts.  This doesn't
> directly affect the permissions on particular directories though.

Services won't start, precisely the point.  The requested change here is
that when "Just Me" is selected that a warning would be displayed indicating
this fact.

> >Being on 'XP Home' I still can't get sshd to run as a service, but at
least
> >crond will and I can use it to make sure that sshd is running.  I think I
> >know a fix for that too, though, just haven't yet had the chance or
pressing
> >desire to test it, especially now that I can run it through crond.
>

> Sounds like a sshd configuration problem.

Search the net...  It's not a configuration problem, or if it is, it's
affected many many users without any apparent resolution available.  Have a
glance at the results returned by Google for these search texts:

"win32 error 1062"
cygwin "Could not load host key"

You'll see, as I have, that it's all but assuredly not a configuration
issue.  The likely issue here is one with rights (Not owned by 'SYSTEM' and
dir attributes).  The two directories that this is entails are /var/log and
/var/empty.  As I said prior, I believe I know of a way of resolving the
issue, but it entails rebooting to safe mode and other details which isn't
important to someone that's gotten a fair kludge working.

Cheers,
Greg

---