How to set the colors of terminfo's standout mode?

  How can I set the colors of terminfo's standout (smso, so) mode?

  I have a terminfo application (tin, the newsreader) which, as far as
I can tell, uses standout mode to highlight things.

  I first used this on the old Cygwin B20 release and that gave white
text on a black background (normal text is black on white), i.e.
'inverse-video' and a good contrast, i.e. easy to read.

  I now rebuilt (configure,/make, compile, link, etc.) the application
on Cygwin 1.5.9. That new version displays standout mode as light-grey
text on a dark-grey background, i.e. little contrast and very hard to
read.

  Basically I want the old behaviour (white-on-black) on Cygwin 1.5.9,
but have no idea how/where that can be set.

  Some more information: The application is started from a "Command
Prompt" 'DOS' window, i.e. not from a (bash) shell. However when I do a
"tput smso" in that window and then "echo text", I see the same
behaviour (light-grey on dark-grey), so I think it is a terminfo/
terminal issue, not a shell issue. The TERM variable is set to "cygwin".

  Thanks in advance for any and all responses.