Re: placing ~ on a network mapped drive.

Ray wrote:

Hi, I've been reading the FAQ's and searching through the archives, but am not able to find a way to make the current user's home directory go outside of \cygwin\home.

More specifically, I would like to have more control of user home locations for backup and recovery puposes. Could anyone give some insight into how to place the users' home directories outside of \cygwin\home? Mapping to another drive would be preferable.

Personally I don't map anything to any kind of drive letter! Why would you want to limit yourself to the 26 letters in the alphabet?

What I do is mount the remote share to /home:

$ mount -bsf //<server>/<share> /home

Then adjust /etc/passwd to use /home/<username>. Note that the above mounting is for the share for all users such that an ls //server/share would list all user's home directory.

Further you may need to adjust /etc/profile to set HOME to the value from /etc/passwd.
--
Ambition is the last refuge of a failure.