Re: Emulating hard links on FAT et al.

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 21, 2004 at 01:16:03PM -0400, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> >> ntea relies on a set of win32 functions available to NT family only.
> >
> >Yes, but as I asked -- is that necessary?  I mean, if it will require a
> >full rewrite of the ntea functionality, then NT is certainly a
> >prerequisite.
>
> I don't get what you are asking when you say "Is that necessary?"   Are
> you suggesting that someone could emulate NTEA functionality in cygwin
> on 9x/Me?
>
> cgf

Yes, I'm asking if that's possible (in your and others' educated opinion),
and if so, how much estimated effort that will involve.  If there's too
much interdependence with the NT API, then it's probably not a good idea,
as most of the functionality will have to be re-implemented.  If it's just
a matter of intercepting permission-related calls and looking the
permissions up in a particular file, I don't see why this can't be done in
Win9x.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/