Re: zsh & lilypond

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004, Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:

> Peter A. Castro writes:
>
> > Alternatively, you could ask the LilyPond maintainer to have this fixed.
>
> Alternatively, you could switch to a shell that's not so broken.

Hey!  Watch it!  Thems fighin' woids!

> > They [...] think zsh doesn't set $0 correctly for shell scripts, but I
> > believe this has been working for quite a while now
>
> FYI, `they' added code to work around documented brokenness of that
> @!"`%&#$ zsh, on user request.  This was only a few months ago

Such language!  This is a public list, after all :)

Seriously, can you point me to this documented problem?  I can't seem to
locate it.  And, it appears this may be a platform specific issue, as I
can't seem to reproduce it under Linux or Cygwin for anything V4.0.3 and
up (and, yes I've just been trying it).

And, I'd have to question why you have to special case for zsh in the
first place.  Seems to me, you should put out a big fat notice saying
"CUSTOMIZE ME!!!" to make people cognizant of the fact that they need to
do some editing.  No need to make use of some cryptic shell feature which
is iffy to begin with.  Oh, and I've been trying this same little trick
with bash and some other shells, and it fails there in a number of cases
too.  Or perhaps look for a $HOME/.lilypond file to see if they've made
whatever mods are needed and note that they have to touch/create
$HOME/.lilypond.  There are lots of ways to handle this.

>    http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-lilypond/2003-08/msg00007.html
>
> > and it's time the LilyPond people corrected this.
>
> so unless you or one of the other two zsh users can provide a patch
> that works with all zsh versions still in use, I'm afraid you'll have
> to suffer some longer.

Oh, that's simple: remove the if test :)

> Jan -- working hard on his meanness

And doing quite nicely, I might add.

--
Peter A. Castro <doctor@fruitbat.org> or <Peter.Castro@oracle.com>