Re: How to set the colors of terminfo's standout mode?

Alejandro López-Valencia wrote:
> At 03:05 a.m. 27/04/2004, Frank Slootweg wrote:
> >   Please?
> >
> >On April 20, I wrote:
> >
> > >   How can I set the colors of terminfo's standout (smso, so) mode?
> > >
> > >   I have a terminfo application (tin, the newsreader) which, as
> > > far as
>
> [snip]
>
> > >   I now rebuilt (configure,/make, compile, link, etc.) the
> > > application on Cygwin 1.5.9. That new version displays standout
> > > mode as light-grey text on a dark-grey background, i.e. little
> > > contrast and very hard to read.
> > >
> > >   Basically I want the old behaviour (white-on-black) on Cygwin
> > > 1.5.9, but have no idea how/where that can be set.
>
> Have you read the man page? Particularly the section titled:
>
>          "GLOBAL OPTIONS MENU AND TINRC CONFIGURABLE VARIABLES"
>
> where it documents how you can set up screen colors by editing tinrc?
> My knowledge on this topic stops here (I use slrn with jwk patches,
> best offline news reading I've done ever). I just happen to have tin's
> man page in /var/spool/cache/man/cat1 yet [1]).

  Yes, but (AFAIK) the col_* variables apply only if you use a color
'terminal' (i.e. not a mono-chrome (grey tones) one). Anyway,
col_invers_fg was set to white (7) and _bg to blue (4), while the actual
display was light-grey on dark-grey. Changing the _bg to black (0) also
had no effect.

  So I think the standout/'inverse video' colors are set somewhere else,
but I do not know where. That is the problem, and is confirmed by the
fact that "tput smso" shows the same behaviour. (BTW, the normal,
non-inverse-video, colors for a "Command Prompt" 'DOS' window are set in
the Properties of that window, but there there are no settings for
inverse-video.)

> > >   Some more information: The application is started from a
> > > "Command Prompt" 'DOS' window, i.e. not from a (bash) shell.
> > > However when I do
>
> [snip]
>
> If you are running in a plain Windows console with command.com or
> cmd.exe as shell, you should not set TERM to cygwin but to something
> more appropriate such as 'pccons'. Heck, anything in
> /usr/share/terminfo/p/ with a name starting on 'pc' would be more
> appropriate.

  pccons gives an error:

> tin: Terminal must have clear to end-of-screen (cd)
> tin: Screen initialization failed

  The README.WIN file which comes with tin instructs to use pcansi,
which  gives the same effect (light-grey on dark-grey) as cygwin. (I can
not remember where I got the cygwin setting from.).

[deleted]

> [1] BTW, there is already an "official" binary of tin you can download
> from the mirrors with setup.exe. Unless you are using the latest
> unstable, of course...

  Yes, I am aware of that, but thanks anyway. I won't bother you with my
reasons for wanting to build tin myself.

  So anyone any other suggestions?