Re: Cygwin 1.5.9 Permission Denied Problem

--- Larry Hall <cygwin-lh@cygwin.com> wrote:
> At 06:46 PM 4/29/2004, you wrote:
> >I just installed the latest Cygwin (1.5.9) on a new
> >Win2K laptop that is not part of any domain. I'm
> >getting "permission denied" when I try to execute
> >programs in a couple of situations. None of the
> >obvious remedies have fixed the problem.
> >
> >Situation One: I've downloaded and built
> >scheme48-0.57. It runs fine from the command line.
> >After I did a 'chgrp Users' on it I was able to
> >successfully 'M-x run-scheme' out of the Cygwin
> >version of emacs. When I launch nt-emacs from the
> >desktop, however, and attempt 'M-x run-scheme' I
> get a
> >permission error; specifically "permission denied,
> >~/software/cygwin/usr/local/bin/scheme48".
>

> Non-Cygwin programs don't understand POSIX paths.
> Unless you've performed some emacs wizardry, that
> path won't lead you to anything.  If you do have
> some wizardry in there, you might still find you
> need the ".exe" on the end.

Actually, emacs groks POSIX paths. The Cygwin emacs
that I launch from the cmd line and the nt-emacs that
I launch from the desktop use the same .emacs. The
former works, the latter doesn't.

> >Situation Two: I unzip an internal build of Java
> that
> >a separate group provides me. I 'chmod a+x' all the
> >executables in the distribution and then smoke test
> >the JVM by typing: java -version. I'm rewarded
> with:
> >"zsh: permission denied: java" (same thing happens
> >with bash, btw). I have a production JDK installed
> in
> >Program\ Files and it works fine. It turns out that
> >the production version is owned by
> >"Administrators:SYSTEM" so I chown the internal
> >version's executables to "Administrator:SYSTEM" but
> >the result is the same. Note that I have no
> problems
> >with these internal build on my Win2K workstation
> >which (a) is part of a domain, and (b) is running
> >Cygwin 1.5.7.
>

> Not sure about this one.  'getfacl' might help.  You
>
> could try removing "ntea" from your CYGWIN
> environment
> variable, in case you're getting some weird
> conflict.

Interesting results from getfacl.

For the production (InstallShield installed) java
%getfacl `which java`:
# file: /cygdrive/c/WINNT/system32/java
# owner: Administrators
# group: SYSTEM
user::rwx
group::r-x
group:Users:r-x
group:Power Users:rwx
mask:rwx
other:r-x

For the internal (unzipped) java
%getfacl `which java`:
# file: /usr/local/java/bin/java
# owner: Administrators
# group: SYSTEM
user::rwx
group::r-x
mask:rwx
other:r-x

Is there away to add ACLs for those additional groups
from zsh or bash?

> >I'm completely out of ideas any help/suggestions
> would
> >be greatly appreciated at this point.
> >
> >... WkH
> >
> >cygcheck -s -v -r yields:
>

> <snip>
>

> --
> Larry Hall
> http://www.rfk.com
> RFK Partners, Inc.                      (508)
> 893-9779 - RFK Office
> 838 Washington Street                   (508)
> 893-9889 - FAX
> Holliston, MA 01746

Thanks ... WkH