RE: cygX11-6.dll not found

  Let's just recap, shall we?

>trying to run Xemacs directly from
> /Cygewin/bin without
> opening cygwin first

> located what I think is the configuration file for cygwin,
> "profile", in
> /etc, and the PATH variable contains the path
> /usr/X11R6/bin

  Since you aren't running a shell (what you've referred to as "running
cygwin first", the profile isn't executed, and so /usr/X11R6/bin isn't added
to the path.  You need to make sure that your windoze environment variables
have a PATH setting that includes your /cygwin/bin and /usr/X11R6/bin
directories.

  BTW, we should be slightly clearer here.  Cygwin is the system that allows
Unix/POSIX/Linux code to run on 'doze.  The shell is a Unix program that
runs under cygwin and provides your command-line interface.  ".profile" is
the startup script used by the shell.  It is initialisation for the shell,
not for the cygwin system.

    cheers,
      DaveK