Not a Cygwin problem ( Was Re: Midnight Commander screen corruption w/ built-in editor)

On Sun, 2 May 2004, Frédéric L. W. Meunier wrote:

> On Sun, 2 May 2004, Frédéric L. W. Meunier wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 2 May 2004, Errol Smith wrote:
> >
> > > I'm having a problem with mc's editor (4.6.0-4, also tried
> > > mc-4.6.0a-20030721 with same issue). (cygwin 1.5.9-1 on 98se)
> > > If you are editing a file wider than the screen, sometimes
> > > the display becomes corrupted, with odd parts of lines
> > > appearing at the left screen edge and the display seems to
> > > lose left/right alignment with mc's internal idea of where it
> > > is (so if you go to insert a character, it actually gets
> > > inserted several characters up the line from where you
> > > thought).
> >
> > I don't think this is Cygwin specific. I also get it (or
> > something similar) on Linux.
>
> I confirm it also happens on Linux. Since you wrote it doesn't
> for you, I suspect your binary was compiled with the internal
> (the default) or an external S-Lang. The Cygwin binary is
> linked against ncurses, as is my Linux binary from CVS as of
> March 17 (using ncurses 20040417).
>
> I suggest you report it to mc at gnome dot org if you can't
> reproduce it on Linux with a binary compiled with ncurses.
>
> Take in mind that ldd showing libncurses doesn't mean the
> binary is using it. It may be a dependency from libgpm. Use mc
> -V, which here reports "Using the ncurses library".

I recompiled latest CVS (there was only a header change
compared to my last binary) on Linux using
--with-screen=mcslang.

It doesn't happen anymore. So, a suggestion to Pavel Tsekov.
If a fix isn't available, recompile with the above switch.

--
http://www.pervalidus.net/contact.html