GDB slow when Novell and Hummingbird NFS installed

I'm passing this information along from a 3rd party so forgive me if it's incomplete.

With our product we ship the 1.5.5-1 Cygwin dll and a GDB which is built against it. We currently have a customer who is experiencing significant slowdowns in the debugger ('unresponsive' is the word he used) when either a Novell client or Hummingbird NFS are installed. I've seen various threads about patching Novell solving slowdowns, but the customer has patched their Novell and the problem remains.

The previous version of our product shipped with some flavour of the 1.3 cygwin dll and didn't have this problem. Can someone shed some light on what might be causing this?