RE: Trying to link an MSVC DLL with a Cygwin Application

Hi David,

That is a false assumption, I have been able to link a REAL win32 dll
against a cygwin application however linking a cygwin compiled dll
into a MSVC app is where you will come into troubles. This is because
neither cygwin's or ming's dlltool create dlls as specified by MS's
dll specification.

The name mangling is an issue from VC++ POV not the other way round.

My experience comes from building a win32 dll in Borland C++ builder then having a simple console based cygwin gcc compiled app exercise the dll's API - which btw was successful.

Arash Partow

Be one who knows what they don't know,
Instead of being one who knows not what they don't know,
Thinking they know everything about all things.
http://www.partow.net

From: john george

I'm trying to link a MSVC++  created DLL with a cygwin
application.

This gives me undefined refernce to function name ...

Is there anything that I'm missing?

The g++ and MSVC++ mangle C++ names differently. This makes
it very difficult (perhaps impossible) to link a MSVC++ created DLL with a g++ compiled (cygwin or mingw) application.

.